Friday, January 9, 2009

Out of the Mouths of Children

No doubt you've heard it before, but kids really do say the darnedest things. It occurred to me the other day that I should probably write down some of the funnier/cuter things that the monkey says before I forget them. Maybe they will seem silly out of context, but for us they were all pretty funny at the time.

One of the monkey's recent obsessions includes Peter Pan and the Little Mermaid. I won't even get started on the political incorrectness of the classic Peter Pan movie (perhaps another post), but they have both cemented the fascination with Fairies and Mermaids, only, the monkey calls them Tinkerbells and Marmalades. Ariel is the little marmalade, and all fairies are referred to as Tinkerbells, or Tinkerbell's cousins. Another favourite character is Baby Beluga, but the monkey insists on calling it him baby dabluga. The husband and I always find it hilarious.

Another one, which only happened once, but was hyterical, happened when we were driving along the road and the monkey got really excited because she noticed that the car in front of us had a tail. I tried to explain about it being the exhaust pipe. She processed that for a couple of moments and then stated very seriously, "that's for the car to go pee pee mommy". I was laughing so hard, I'm lucky there wasn't an accident.

On the subject of priceless moments, grandma was over for the holidays, and of course one morning the monkey starts having a total meltdown, can't remember why, but then suddenly she stomps back up to me and states in a loud and unmistakably clear voice, "Holy Cr**, Mom!, Holy Cr**"! Now, the husband and I do NOT use profanity, around her or otherwise, and neither does grandma. I was shocked, and of course because she got such a reaction, she starts shouting it over and over again, just in case we didn't get it the first time. I can only assume that she picked it up at daycare or on the playground or something. After the initial shock of it, I played it as nonchalant as possible, calmly explaining that we don't use that sort of language in our family, and she seems to have more or less forgotten about the expression, since there hasn't been a repeat. Her new expression of choice in similar circumstances is, "Oh, bother!", which I know that she picked up from a Winnie the Pooh story and is, I think, far preferable to the other one.

My other favourites in the cuteness category, are when she says things along the lines of, "You're my favourite Mommy in the whole wide world!", or things like, "Ariel loves her daddy, just like I do!". I know, mushy, but it still melts my heart every time I hear them.

No comments: