Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Knitting Two Socks at the Same Time

The husband got me a book for Christmas called, 2-at-a-Time Socks: The Secret of Knitting Two at Once on a Circular Needle, by Melissa Morgan-Oakes. It looked kind of complicated, but I loved the idea of finishing them both at the same time. In the past I have made wrist warmers, and I know that each time after I was finished the first one, the last thing in the world that I felt like doing was knitting up the second one. Being a sort of novice knitter with a low attention span, I have never attempted socks before, but after looking through the book, I figured I might as well give it a shot, and why not learn a new technique while I do it? How hard could it be?

Well I won't pretend it isn't tricky, especially at the beginning, but I do think that it is a super cool idea. My first attempt had to be unravelled after a couple of rows, due to a number of errors that were compounded by the fact that my 2-year old got a hold of the thing and pulled a bunch of stitches off the needles, but the second time around appears to be running smoother. I have finished the ribbed part at the cuff and I am onto the main body of the sock now, which I love because it means I can just stick to knit stitches as opposed to knit 1/pearl 1 ribbing. I am also getting better at keeping the wool from being a tangled mess of criss-crossed yarn, which can certainly tend to be a problem with this technique (it was for me, at any rate). I feel like I am starting to get the hang of the whole thing, and the next big step forward will of course be when I have to start on the heel flap and stuff, which is a little intimidating, but I hope to push through it all. So anyhow, wish me luck, I will post more pics as things progress.

1 comment:

Melissa Morgan-Oakes said...

YAY! Keep up the excellent work! If you are on Ravelry, there's a great group there who are super supportive if you get stuck.